1. Value yourself more. You are unlike anyone else. You are God’s unique creation and He loves you.
2. Your mom is usually right. And your dad is strict for a reason. Don’t get mad at them. Understand that they love you and want what’s best for you.
3. You will never learn to swim. That’s okay.
4. You will always love books, you will always love reading and writing and poetry. Enjoy that.
5. Study, study and then study some more. You may not feel like it, but you will be grateful for it.
6. Even though it won’t feel like it, school will be over in a few years. And those jerky kids that make fun of you and bully you won’t be in your life forever.
7. Don’t worry about boys and whether or not they like you. You will learn that they are not worth the energy.
8. Save your money. You don’t need another handbag or pair of shoes. Also, don’t apply for credit cards. EVER!
9. You will never stop being shy around strangers. That’s okay. It’s part of who you are.
10. Don’t let other people lead you down the wrong path. You know what’s right and you have strong morals. Stick to that.
11. That drastically short, “Princess Diana” haircut you got in middle school? Yeah, DON’T do it. You’ll end up regretting it and trying to grow it out for at least the next two decades.
12. Go to college. Actually, go AWAY for college. And finish. It will seem scary and daunting, but you will be glad when you have a degree. It doesn’t matter in what, as long as you have one.
13. Don’t worry about fitting in or being popular. Just be yourself and be proud of that.
14. When your mom tries to teach you to sew, let her. Also, learn to knit.
15. As much as you’ll want to, do not dye your hair until it starts going gray. You will be stuck in a never-ending cycle of roots and touch-ups and color changes.
16. Resist trends. They are fleeting for a reason.
17. Do NOT marry that guy. He doesn’t love you and certainly doesn’t respect you. He will only cause you heartache and insecurity.
18. Learn to drive sooner.
19. That group of girls you’re trying so hard to fit in with? They are not your friends. They will talk about you behind your back and turn on you for being “too honest.” But don’t worry; you will eventually find a new group of friends. And they will be amazing, beautiful, talented and kind. They will love you and accept you exactly as you are, imperfections and all. Treasure this, because it only happens once in a lifetime.
20. One day, in the future, you will meet a cute German/Mexican boy. He will be funny and smart and sweet and he will appreciate you and accept you as is. Let the friendship happen naturally. Don’t rush it. Learn to love each other, before you fall IN love with each other. It will be good and you will be happy.
*If I knew then what I know now.